Students are invited to apply for Odyssey of the Mind! Use the link to access the application.
Dune Lakes Elementary School Gives Back
Join Dune Lakes Elementary Staff in harnessing the power of people to fight ocean trash during the International Coastal Cleanup on September 18, 2021.
The International Coastal Cleanup began more than 30 years ago, when communities rallied together with the common goal of collecting and documenting the trash littering their coastline. Volunteers from states and territories throughout the U.S. and more than 100 countries come together each year and participate in a cleanup event near them.
Ocean trash is a serious pollution problem that affects the health of people, wildlife and local economies. Trash in the water and on the shore can kill marine animals, injure swimmers and beachgoers, and ensnare boat propellers.
We need your help to solve this problem. For over three decades, volunteers with Ocean Conservancy’s International Coastal Cleanup have picked up everything imaginable along the world’s shorelines: cigarette butts, food wrappers, abandoned fishing gear and even automobiles and kitchen appliances.
This year’s event will be from 9-11 AM on September 18th. Let’s become a beacon of hope, leading and inspiring action in our area to help support our oceans. We will meet at the Inlet Beach Regional Access, 438 S Orange St Center, Inlet Beach, FL 32461. You will be given a trash bag and gloves, but it is helpful if you bring a net to sift out the sand from the trash.
If you are interested in volunteering your time to help our community, please email Mrs. Rentz at [email protected]
Helpful Information about the event:
- Parents are responsible for supervising their own children during the event.
- T-shirts will be given out on a first come first served basis.
- You will need to walk slowly and look down to find objects that don’t belong, like cellophane straw wrappers from juice boxes, metal and plastic bottle caps, cigarette butts, small pieces of plastic from busted beach toys, napkins, wipes, plastic bags of all sizes, etc.
- You will be given gloves and bags when you check in.
- You will need to bring sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, and Water Bottle.
- You may choose to use the Clean Swell App to log in your trash collection or pick up a paper form at the check in desk.
Thank you so much for participating this year.
Ways to Get Involved with STEM
If you have experience in one of our careers, I would love to talk with you about ways you may be of assistance to our students. If you would like to support our classroom, I have created an Amazon STEM wish list of supplies needed during the year.